Epoxy flooring is one of the most popular flooring trends on the rise in 2020! Thanks to its immense customization options and versatility, epoxy flooring can find a home just about anywhere!
From homes to businesses to industrial facilities, this flooring solution can do it all!
So, you may be wondering, “What is epoxy flooring?” Well, that’s the question that we’re here to answer!
In this article, we’ll discuss epoxy flooring, its installation process, and the various options out there. Continue reading to learn more!
Epoxy flooring is a resinous flooring system that comes in several styles and textures. These coatings are typically applied over concrete but can be installed over other flooring materials, such as linoleum or plywood, with proper preparation. For the best results, you’ll want to use concrete as the base if at all possible. These floors are known for being remarkably strong, stain-resistant, and long-lasting.
The Epoxy Flooring Installation Process
The installation process for epoxy flooring begins with a cleaning and inspection of your concrete for damage. If any damage is found, such as cracks or chipping, it’ll need to be repaired before the next step in the process.
After repairs have been made, the surface prep can begin. This typically involves using a floor grinder equipped with a diamond grinding wheel to ensure proper adhesion between the epoxy resin and the concrete as well as removing any minor blemishes.
Once the surface preparation is finished, the epoxy is mixed and poured over the concrete. Multiple layers of epoxy will be applied until the desired thickness is achieved, and any patterns will be created during this step. Then the floor will be finished with a clear epoxy topcoat. With the topcoat in place, the epoxy floor will need 72 hours to fully cure.
Styles of Epoxy Flooring
Standard Epoxy Flooring
Standard epoxy flooring is the most basic and affordable option. This epoxy style can be applied in a limitless variety of colors and patterns ranging from single-color floors to multi-color, geometric patterns. No matter if you’re looking for a unique kitchen floor or a rugged work floor, this can be the perfect option for you!
Metallic Epoxy Flooring
Metallic epoxy flooring is one of the most unique flooring options out there! This one-of-a-kind flooring solution is made by mixing metallic pigments into the resin during the installation process. These metallic pigments give the floor a beautiful shimmering effect that can be manipulated to create fantastic designs that can’t be duplicated! Metallic epoxy is also available in an endless array of colors and patterns. Swirling patterns are one of the more popular designs, but these floors can also create designs that mimic scenes from nature like lava, water, or the sky!
Decorative Flake Epoxy Flooring
Decorative flake epoxy is the ideal choice for anyone looking for a floor with some extra slip-resistance. These floors are made by layering acrylic chips over the epoxy primer and finishing it with a thin, clear epoxy topcoat. The decorative flakes are available in various colors, shapes, and sizes, from 1/16 to 1 inch.
The Benefits of Epoxy Flooring
- Durability: These floors are exceptionally durable! They can withstand a broad range of impacts, abrasions, and foot or vehicle traffic without sustaining significant damage.
- Longevity: The lifespan of an epoxy floor is unmatched by most conventional flooring systems on the market. When properly installed and maintained, epoxy floors can last for 25 years or more!
- Resistance: Epoxy flooring is resistant to a myriad of chemicals, such as grease, oil, and gasoline, as well as water. The non-porous surface repels these liquids, preventing stains and damage from occurring.
- Ease of Maintenance: The seamless installation this floor offers creates a low-maintenance flooring system that will save any home or business owner countless hours and dollars, avoiding time-consuming maintenance routines and expensive cleaning products.
- Customizability: One of the most appealing benefits of epoxy flooring is its customizability. There are endless combinations that can be utilized to create a one-of-a-kind design for your home or business!